Myler 3-Ring Wide-Barrel Copper-Inlay Comfort Comb
The Myler 3-Ring Combination Bit Sweet Iron Wide Barrel Comfort Snaffle with Copper Inlay has been designed for horses who are young, green or just beginning training or who have a challenging disposition. This very unique bit works on three types of pressure, increasing the "severity" of the bit gradually. First, the noseband and chin strap apply gentle pressure around the face. If this is not enough, then poll pressure is added to the facial pressure. If still more pressure is needed , the stop on the bit ring will engage the mouthpiece, applying pressure inside the mouth. The bit can be used on one of three rings for different degrees of leverage. Despite its appearance, the Combination bit is not a gag, but instead works as a loose mouthpiece, only applying pressure if absolutely necessary.
- Mouthpiece: MB 02 (a more comfortable alternative to the 3 piece mouthpiece)
- Ring type: 6" three ring shank
- Metal type: Sweet Iron with Copper inlay
- Level: 1
Level 1 bits rotate on the tongue to apply tongue pressure and collapse to form a U instead of a V which protects the lips and bars from pinching. The mouthpiece is curved to allow more room for the tongue which can limit some resistance.
Resistance is the horse's way of communicating discomfort. A horse may demonstrate resistance through one or more behaviors that are consistently repeated in relation to the bit. Recognizing the signs of resistance is critical to knowing when there is a problem. Some of these signs include:
- Going behind or above the bit
- Chewing, overactive mouth, tongue out of the mouth
- Running through the bit, pulling or not stopping
- Putting the tongue over the bit
- Sucking the tongue into the back of the throat
Myler bits have many unique features which allow your horse to work without resistance:
- Independent side movement: Many Myler bits have a barrel in the center of the mouthpiece that acts as a bushing, allowing each side of the bit to move independently of the other.
- Curved Mouthpiece: The curve creates more room for the tongue to pass under the bit so the horse can swallow more freely as opposed to a bit that goes straight across the mouth.
- Mouthpiece Thickness: Most Myler mouthpieces are 7/16" thick (11.11mm), a thickness that allows the bit to fit comfortably in the horse's mouth. In English bits, mouthpieces measure 14mm at the cheek and taper to 11.11mm inside the mouth. This provides a slightly larger surface area on the bars and lips, but still provides ample room for the tongue inside the mouth.
- Mouthpiece Metals: Sweet Iron oxidizes when exposed to moisture, releasing sweet taste. The sweet iron mouthpiece will turn grey after a few uses.
- Independent Swivel cheek: The independent swivel cheek is a patented Myler feature offered on a limited number of cheekpieces. Myler shanks are independent of the mouthpiece and the independent swivel cheek means that the purchase is also independent of the shank when the rider engages one rein, the shank moves but the purchase has a slight swivel to is so it can give a little against the horse's face as the bit moves below it. The independent swivel cheek is offered on combination bits.
Please Note: If you compete, check with your sport's governing body to confirm which bits are legal for your particular event.
|Sale Type||Regular Price Items|
Free Shipping Policy:
Orders of 100 or more
Most orders over $100 ship FREE to Continental US when you ship to a physical address (no PO boxes). When you choose free shipping, we usually ship via FedEx Ground or USPS Priority Mail. Exclusions to our free shipping policy include:
- Oversize items
- Manufacturer's closeouts
- Flash sale items
- Tent Sale Items
- Heavy items
- Shipments of larger items to PO boxes
Orders under $100 and Oversized Items
After entering your shipping address, the website will give you a shipping cost for various shipping methods. You can pick the method that best suits your needs.
Items stocked in our warehouse in Maine usually ship within 1-business day. These items will be indicated by an "In Stock" designation after you select your item. Items stocked at manufactuer's warehouses (designated by a stock status of "Ships in x-y days), may have a delay in shipping as we have to add their processing times to the shipping estimate. Once shipped, items are delivered in 1 to 5 days:
- New England customers typically receive their orders in 1-2 days
- West Coast customers typically receive their items in 4 to 5 business days.
- Mid-atlantic typically receive their orders in 2 to 3 days.
You can open a help desk ticket or call our toll free number - 877-322-7387 if you are on a tight schedule for your item to ensure it will be delivered in time.