Myler Black Seven Shank w Sweet Iron Ported Barrel
You Save 15% ($26.09)
The Myler Black Seven Shank with Sweet Iron Ported Barrel bit has been designed for horses in Advanced training with a solid disposition and self-control. Perfect for experienced, trustworthy trail horses or those riding in the level 2-3 curb and showing resistance.
- Mouthpiece: Sweet iron mouthpiece with copper inlay - MB 33 (offers maximum tongue relief; mildest bit with independent side movement)
- This mouthpiece is made of polished Sweet Iron which naturally oxidizes or rusts. Harmless to horses, it has a sweet taste and promotes salivation. Black shank will discolor over time to an antique brown. Stainless steel dots.
- Level 3 bits are wide ported Curb bits designed to provide little to no tongue pressure. Instead, the level 3 uses more bar, poll and curb pressure with a curve to the mouthpiece that allows more room for the tongue to prevent resistance.
Resistance is the horse's way of communicating discomfort. A horse may demonstrate resistance through one or more behaviors that are consistently repeated in relation to the bit. Recognizing the signs of resistance is critical to knowing when there is a problem. Some of these signs include:
- Going behind or above the bit
- Chewing, overactive mouth, tongue out of the mouth
- Heavy on the forehand, leaning on the bit
- Putting the tongue over the bit
- Sucking the tongue into the back of the throat
Myler bits have many unique features which allow your horse to work without resistance:
Independent side movement: Many Myler bits have a barrel in the center of the mouthpiece that acts as a bushing, allowing each side of the bit to move independently of the other. When the rider engages one fixed rein using a Myler bit with Independent Side Movement, the rider lifts only one side of the bit, giving a very clear, precise signal to the horse.
Curved Mouthpiece: Myler mouthpieces have a distinctive curve. The curve creates more room for the tongue to pass under the bit so the horse can swallow more freely as opposed to a bit that goes straight across the mouth.
Mouthpiece Thickness: Most Myler mouthpieces are 7/16" thick (11.11mm), a thickness that allows the bit to fit comfortably in the horse's mouth.
Metals: Myler Western bits, combination bits and cradle bits are made of sweet iron with copper inlay. Sweet Iron oxidizes when exposed to moisture, releasing sweet taste. The sweet iron mouthpiece will turn grey after a few uses.
Independent Swivel cheek: The independent swivel cheek is a patented Myler feature offered on a limited number of cheekpieces. Myler shanks are independent of the mouthpiece and the independent swivel cheek means that the purchase is also independent of the shank when the rider engages one rein, the shank moves but the purchase has a slight swivel to is so it can give a little against the horse's face as the bit moves below it. The independent swivel cheek is offered on combination bits, the parelli shank bits the HBT and the flat shank.
Please Note: If you compete, check with your sport's governing body to confirm which bits are legal for your particular
Free Shipping Policy:
Orders of 100 or more
Most orders over $100 ship FREE to Continental US when you ship to a physical address (no PO boxes). When you choose free shipping, we usually ship via FedEx Ground or USPS Priority Mail. Exclusions to our free shipping policy include:
- Oversize items
- Manufacturer's closeouts
- Flash sale items
- Tent Sale Items
- Heavy items
- Shipments of larger items to PO boxes
Orders under $100 and Oversized Items
After entering your shipping address, the website will give you a shipping cost for various shipping methods. You can pick the method that best suits your needs.
Items stocked in our warehouse in Maine usually ship within 1-business day. These items will be indicated by an "In Stock" designation after you select your item. Items stocked at manufactuer's warehouses (designated by a stock status of "Ships in x-y days), may have a delay in shipping as we have to add their processing times to the shipping estimate. Once shipped, items are delivered in 1 to 5 days:
- New England customers typically receive their orders in 1-2 days
- West Coast customers typically receive their items in 4 to 5 business days.
- Mid-atlantic typically receive their orders in 2 to 3 days.
You can open a help desk ticket or call our toll free number - 877-322-7387 if you are on a tight schedule for your item to ensure it will be delivered in time.